The Bloody Bridge


This alley connecting Tkalčićeva with Radićeva is called “Bloody Bridge” (Krvavi most in Croatian) because it was the location of a bridge that connected Gradec and Kaptol and a spot perfectly set for their frequent squabbles.

This alley connecting Tkalčićeva with Radićeva is called “Bloody Bridge” (Krvavi most in Croatian) because it was the location of a bridge that connected Gradec and Kaptol and a spot perfectly set for their frequent squabbles. Rights to the watermills along Medveščak creek gave frequent grounds for dispute, and the bridge across the creek was the spot where these arguments occasionally turned violent. The bridge itself was torn down in the year 1899 but the name is still bone by the small street that replaced it.
The public library on the corner of Bloody Bridge originally housed Zagreb’s first telephone exchange. It was set up by local entrepreneur Vilim Schwarz in 1887, only eleven years after Alexander Bell patented the telephone in America. Awarded a concession by the Ministry of Development and Communications, Schwarz installed an exchange that served 45 subscribers.

Location