Maksimir Park


Main attraction in the eastern part of the city is Maksimir Park, a leafy oasis of greenery first opened as a public promenade by Bishop Maksimilijan Vrhovac in 1794.

Main attraction in the eastern part of the city is Maksimir Park, a leafy oasis of greenery first opened as a public promenade by Bishop Maksimilijan Vrhovac in 1794. It was Vrhovac who arranged for the existing oak woods and meadows to be transformed into gardens in the French style. The resulting park was named Maksimir (“mir” being Croatian for peace) in honour of its founder. Occupying one corner of the park, Zagreb Zoo has grown considerably since the early 20th century, when it opened to the public with a modest collection of three foxes and three owls. Today it is home to 275 animal species, and occupies a 7-hectare area of beautifully laid-out flowerbeds and shrubs.

Location